Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Amputation Nationhttp://www2.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif



Is it just me or is the world totally amped on amputation. I think that in the last three days I've heard about 20 amputation stories.

What kicked it all off was a story on NPR about Lisa Bufano
, a woman who made a big fat batch of lemonade from the lemon avalanche life dropped on her. She apparently lost her legs and finger to a staph infection but has turned her disability into art by affixing weird, cool legs and hands and dancing around. It's way cooler and more sensitive than that, I'm just in an apbbrasive mood. Check out some amazing videos here at Lisabufano.com. (It doesn't hurt that she's also pretty cute.) I need to snatch her up for a video before Mathew Barney does. In her interview she brought up comic book superheroes and how they're always able to turn a hideous accident into something amazing.

So that's one positive amputee story, now followed by a butt-load of not so happy ones. Two nights ago I finally worked up the courage and watched "I Spit On Your Grave". It's the classic grindhouse revenge film that heavily influence Tarantino's "Kill Bill", and has the dubious distinction of having one of the longest, most violent rape sequences in a movie. After being taken down Deliverance style by the local boys in a mountain town, the female lead takes it upon herself to wreak revenge. I'll spare you the details of the other deaths, but the one that's permanently stuck in my head was the bath tub scene.



Without going into too much detail, the woman emasculates him with a knife, jumps out of the tub, locks him in and lets him bleed to death while she sits in a rocking chair and listens to a record.

To top it off, this morning on the Adam Carolla show they had this new segment called "Missing Pieces" (or some such) which consisted of people calling in and talking about how they lost an arm, or a leg, or in one girl's case, a nipple.

Enough already. I guess my posting this doesn't help. Ugh. How come people aren't like lizards or Swamp Thing? Why can't our limbs grow back? Wouldn't that have been a useful adaptation?

Anyway, if you have all your appendages, thank your lucky stars. And if you're missing any, don't tell me about it for a few days. I need to recover.

No comments: